Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Growing up.


It sounds better read aloud, but there are people who aren't with me at the moment to hear it who know what it means. This is the story of a past and present.

Growing up means being tough.
Growing up means being tough.
Being tough means no pink, no hugs, no tears.
Being tough means oversized hoodies and baggy pants with lots of pockets.
Being tough means when they ask at the lunch table, “So who do you like?”, you answer, “Please. I’m beyond all that. I have transcended your pitiful ‘emotion’ and reached a higher status… in which I do not feel.”
Growing up means being mature.
Growing up means being mature.
Being mature means no loss of cool, no anger, no grudges.
Being mature means accepting yourself for who you are and pitying those around you that are not.
Being mature means hanging on to the bad relationship because it’s childish to push those who meant something to you away. It’s better to hang on to those who would eat you alive and spit you back onto the dinner plate like a meal that finished with an unsatisfactory after taste.
Growing up means being accepting.
Growing up means being accepting.
Being accepting means no American, no processed cheese, no restaurant that isn’t run by families.
Being accepting means accepting those who struggle so much that you struggle with them.
Being accepting means that being American and being a Mormon is unacceptable even though both of those are what you are.
Growing up means
Growing up means
Growing up means spreading love like a disease
Growing up means recognizing you don’t know anything,
So how come it’s your brother’s fault because he doesn’t either?
Growing up means making mistakes and sharing your pain and
Growing up means loving no matter how bad you get burned and no matter how grown up you don’t feel.

2 comments:

  1. GABBY.
    Have I ever told you how astoundingly brilliant you are?????
    Well. This is fabulous and I ADORE it.

    We should totally start a poetry club so that we can poetry slam. I would love to hear you read this, I can imagine it in my head and it is phenomenal :)

    Also, I was going to comment on the last post you made, but I forgot to....and I am tired at the moment, but I plan on responding soon. Just so you know. Because I felt like telling you. Okay. :)

    ReplyDelete